“Bamboo shoots” are often on the list of foods that adults do not recommend for their children and grandchildren to eat. Including myself With the belief that dangerous bamboo shoots It’s slang food. cause dangerous diseases Having a wound will make the wound worse. Especially after surgery It is also the cause of dangerous diseases like “cancer” as well.
Bamboo shoots are young shoots of bamboo that break from underground rhizomes and are light yellow in color. Crunchy taste, affordable price, can be used to cook a variety of foods, including boiled, stir-fried, curry, fried, and is also widely popular. Not only in Thailand
Are bamboo shoots really dangerous?
Bamboo shoots have both benefits and disadvantages if eaten appropriately. It can provide benefits to the body. But eating bamboo shoots is not the right way. No caution in eating It can actually be harmful to the body.
Bamboo shoots that we consume There are many ทางเข้า ufabet types.
raw bamboo shoots
Dr. Boonchai Somboonsuk, Director-General of the Department of Medical Sciences, stated that raw bamboo shoots or bamboo shoots that are not yet cooked May be poisoned by cyanide. which is naturally present in bamboo shoots and cause harm to the body If entering the body in small quantities Can be excreted through urine. But if received in large quantities Cyanide binds to a substance in red blood cells (hemoglobin) that replaces oxygen, causing hypoxia. unconsciousness and may cause death
Therefore, you should avoid consuming raw bamboo shoots. Mr. Mongkol Jenchitikul, Director of the Food Quality and Safety Bureau, said that consuming boiled bamboo shoots will keep consumers safe from exposure to cyanide. But if the temperature and boiling time are not appropriate, the amount of this substance cannot be reduced. However, for the safety of consumers, before consuming bamboo shoots, they should be cooked. By boiling bamboo shoots in boiling water for at least 10 minutes, the amount of cyanide can be reduced by up to 90.5 percent.
Pickled bamboo shoots
Bamboo shoots are another type of food that is commonly fermented in order to preserve food for a longer time. They are usually preserved in a pipe for several months. If the fermentation process is not clean enough The bacteria Clostridium botulinum grows in bamboo shoots inside the tree. If you cook food with insufficient heat You may be exposed to bacteria that cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and diarrhea if the botulin toxin begins to seep from the digestive system. Enters the bloodstream and nervous system It may affect the functioning of muscles in various parts of the body, such as the eyelid muscles, eyeballs, face, abnormal speech and swallowing. The muscles in the arms and legs become weak, making it difficult to breathe, and this can be life-threatening.
In addition, clean bamboo shoots and cooked with heat It’s actually safe to consume. But there are some types of people who should not consume too much bamboo shoots, including:
- Gout patients Because bamboo shoots have high purin content. May increase uric acid that causes gout.
- Patients with kidney disease should not eat foods that contain too much uric acid (such as bamboo shoots) because they may have trouble excreting the excess uric acid from the body.
Bamboo shoots are safer than you think.
Although there are some groups of patients who should not consume bamboo shoots, people with normal health , including these patients You can eat bamboo shoots.
- For diabetic patients , bamboo shoots have no effect on blood sugar levels at all.
- Liver disease patients Whether you have hepatitis or cirrhosis, you can eat bamboo shoots. There is no effect on disease symptoms.
- Women who are menstruating have leukorrhea. Bamboo shoots are not involved in the occurrence of leukorrhea in women in any way.
- For those who have wounds, post-cesarean section, or post-surgery, bamboo shoots do not cause the wound to become inflamed, heal slowly, or become infected in any way.
- Bamboo shoots do not increase the risk of cancer in any way (except for asparagine, which contains asparagine, which is found in asparagus and many other foods. It is a factor that helps breast cancer cells spread and grow throughout the body even more.)
Nutritional information of bamboo shoots
Nutrient value of bamboo shoots, quantity 100 grams
- Calories (kcal) 27
- Total fat 0.3 g
- Saturated fat 0.1 g
- Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
- Unsaturated fatty acids have 0 g of single double bonds.
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 4 mg
- Potassium 533 mg
- Carbohydrates 5 g
- Dietary fiber 2.2 g
- Sugar 3 g
- Protein 2.6 g
- Vitamin A 20 IU
- Vitamin C 4 mg
- Calcium 13 mg
- Iron 0.5 mg
- Vitamin D 0 IU
- Vitamin B6 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B12 0 µg
- Magnesium 3 mg
Benefits of bamboo shoots
Bamboo shoots contain dietary fiber that reduces the risk of colon cancer and reduces the risk of constipation. It is also low in calories. therefore can be eaten and suitable for people who are controlling their weight It also contains protein, potassium, vitamin A and calcium.
However, it should be noted that Eating bamboo shoots is beneficial. It must be cooked bamboo shoots. Pickled (clean) bamboo shoots have lower nutritional value. But it is not as dangerous to the body as feared. And no matter what, you shouldn’t eat too much bamboo shoots. Should be eaten in the right amount. And choosing to eat a variety of foods is better.